Pages

Friday, September 13, 2019

DFI - Session 8

Today we met Matt from Auckland. Really glad that he showed us You Tube stuff, as it included a playlist of videos of what to be familiar with for the assessment. 11 episodes roughly 42 minutes long. That is a solid Netflix season right there, I got this! Having spent time doing some work at Matt’s school and knowing some of his colleagues it was quite cool to see the videos of Point England School. I found some of the editing stuff a bit more tricky as it was unfamiliar to me. The polyline was new and I can see the benefits of using it.

I created a ‘pick a path’ story on slides. I used lego man images that didn’t have a background. Matt had suggested the white crisp look to sites so I applied that look to these slides and it looked great! Creating those ‘pick a path’ scenarios with either forms or slides takes a ridiculous amount of time, fortunately it is easy to link the slides.

Here is an update from last week where we used a timeline graph to track our blog views. Josie is enjoying Fiji while we are here working so she will need to update me with her data later on.



This week i changed my maths site. I am trying to create a departmental site that all teachers can use. I think the easiest way to have all staff contribute is to have shared Google drive folders where resources can be added for each topic and achievement standard. I have started embedding these folders to each page and have created banners for navigation in google drawings. Why I think a department site would work better than each teacher doing their own thing is that I can’t see anyone other than myself in our department putting in the effort to create an effective site that students use. Perhaps I can meet them halfway. Speaking with senior management, a suggestion was made that once the folders have been populated with student resources, by all teachers, we can link the site in the schools student and parent portals.

We had a discussion at lunchtime about compensation for the work that we may be asked to do with sites and Hapara going into next year. Hopefully I have not bitten off more than I can chew.

6 comments:

  1. You may as well just be HOD and be done with it Noycey. Cheers for the crypto tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with compensation - maybe you'll get what I did as 'school digital leader' . Your site looks gold and some good ideas about the dept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Tim,
    Great that you could make a connection with Matt and Pt England School.
    Good luck with your Maths site. Hope all the work you put into it is appreciated and used by teachers and students.
    See you next week
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will update you on data with no mention of Fiji, tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Tim,
    Just seen your idea about a Department site. Great idea to have both a class site and a department site. check out these ones:
    https://sites.google.com/a/tamaki.ac.nz/tamaki-college-curriculum-links-site/home?pli=1
    https://www.papakurahigh.school.nz/curriculum
    Regards,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete