Pages

Friday, August 2, 2019

DFI - Session 2


  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?
It was good to see the variety of schools engaging with the Manaikalani services and see how this has been around for a few years now. Our activity today reiterated the 'learn, create, share' model that I have heard about over the last few terms.

  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?
Even though I do not use the Google Calendar suite as my weeks are very repetitive I found the overlapping calendars interesting and I can see the use for these. I think the biggest thing that I will take away from today is 'Keep'. At work and at home, when I have a project on or I see something that could be good to refer back to I often pull out my phone and take a picture. Keep would help me to sort these out to have my ideas sorted.

  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  
Using hangouts and a screen recording program like quick time or loom, students could reinforce their recently learnt skills by creating videos to explain their understanding. It would be good to use some of these recordings to add content to my Google Sites math page.

Streaming lessons for students who are absent or recording the board with something like Hangouts would be great. At GBHS as we have many sports/cultural trips, we could help students by creating 24/7 access to the learning.

  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
My partner and I are in the planning stages of a renovation. I am real keen to try use 'Keep' to sort and label our ideas. We take ideas from pinterest, google images, you tube and magazines to get ideas. We have images of products from Bunnings etc and architectural drawings. All these things are never found in one place. Keep could just be creating more work but it would make it easier to talk to my partner about the smaller details if she is out of town. 

I have picked up some good little tips today like filtering out spam emails tiding up my icon bar, but most excitingly I have discovered 'ctrl+shift+v'.

The End

P.S. This is my first ever blog post. Hopefully I did it right!

3 comments:

  1. You worked out how to personalise this pretty quick. I'm still stuck on default. Thanks for reading my essays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Tim,
    Looks pretty good to me. I like the way you can see tips to help you personally as well as professionally. Shortcuts - a personal favourite. Learners like these too (younger ones at least) as in, 'who has the best shortcut of the week to share'?
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim, I was sorry not to meet you in person on week one, but you seem to have got into then swing of things easily. I think using Keep for your renovations will work well. The key is to not have competing systems running at the same time- that way you do create more mayhem for yourself (and your partner) and it is not a time saver.

    ReplyDelete