Pages

Friday, August 16, 2019

DFI - Seasion 4

This morning we had a go at using chromebooks.... a device that my students have used for several years in my classes. I found the experience quite frustrating at first but I was feeling much more comfortable by the end of it. I get quite bad eye strain from starring at screens, this time on the chromebook was quite uncomfortable as the screen was tiny!

So then came our time to use an ipad. Having grown up in Auckland where inorganic collections were an annual event, as kids we would collect the old computers that were being thrown out. PC's were great, we would pull four dead computers apart and make one work. As apple is less flexible with both hardware and software I have never owned any apple devices. I failed at using an ipad. I struggled to navigate it. No thank you.

An activity that we did on the chromebooks had the objectives of learning keyboard short cuts. Always good to learn some new tricks!

We had a go at using 'Screencastify' to create a video to share some ideas on Cybersmart. This is again another tool that I could use with google sites and there are many similarities to loom. I think this is a great way to explain how to do things online for my digitally illiterate family members.

Maria discussed Cybersmart, todays multimodal approach to blogging includes this video below:

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed exploring the differences between iPads and other devices too. Glad your frustration fell away in the end. Also, is that you in the fire photo? Awesome. Now makes sense why you and Willie were discussing a range of different fuels in such depth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the chromebook screens hard to look at also, they appear quite dull and I find myself squinting at them! I like the idea of you being able to share you learning with family members too. Great work on the Screencastify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't look like you made the 1000 words Norax, nice and succinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Britney Spears mic Tim ... works for you! Like you I don't own and never have owned an Apple anything so trying to navigate my way around the ipad today was disaastrous. Fab work with the screencastify. I enjoyed that part of the day. What I would call a success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro - love your title. It's creation at its best: you've created a new word using two existing words by jamming them together 'season' and 'session'. That's bleeding edge man. Just like twerk is a combination of twist and jerk. I hope you can Miley Cyrus the ipads next time too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia ora Tim,
    Great Screencastify! And yes - the site you were using is designed as a resource for teachers.
    Did you manage to find out any more about Hapara Workspaces? I know there are some teachers at Campion that use it widely and embed the workspace in their class site for ease of access. Maria could point you int he direction of the teachers if you wanted to contact them and look at how they use it.
    Mā te wā
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cheryl,
      Thanks for the suggestions we have a couple of teachers at school using workspace and the kids have bought in. I'm going to have a chat with Herman this week about how to use it.
      Tim

      Delete
  7. Kia ora Tim,
    Thanks for embedding your screencastify about Cybersmart resources. The resources are used by facilitators and teachers with learners to teach them how to be cybersmart. Facilitation in primary classes is using this content and modelling LCS by teaching it.
    I agree screencastify is simialr to loom. It does save the video in Drive which is useful for learners and teachers.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete