Pages

Friday, August 9, 2019

DFI - Session 3

DFI - Session 3

Having spent the week thinking I’d found a weakness in Google Keep, and having questioned my ManiaKalani mentor person on Wednesday, Maria showed me how to do the things I’d decided weren’t doable. Will have another play this weekend.

Today we looked at teaching in a Multi Modal context. This is the first time that I had heard this term and what I have taken away is that Multimodal teaching is to use a variety of teaching strategies and exposing our learners to a variety of experiences as we all learn in different ways.

We spent time looking at Google sites. Us GBHS teachers already have google sites setup. I spent this time thinking more about how I could add a larger variety of experiences on the site. I feel it is fairly multimodal. I have videos, written practice questions, submissions of loom videos, images and I use flipgrid for students to ask me questions. Maria was also talking about having sound and motion to sell a product. This is something that I could include through GIFs. With the help of Yulie I created my first GIF I think with a few GIFs and bitmojis, my math googlesite will be a bit more cartoon like, but hopefully more eye catching for the students. 
We had a go at taking other educators resources and putting together a new site. I have been wanting to create a template for each of the assessment standards to keep a consistent layout. Starting with a new canvas was refreshing. I might redo the layout of my google site.

5 comments:

  1. This GIF is pretty amazing. I like your reflections about our learning this week as I felt the same.
    It's great having your perspective on the use of digital technologies at a high school level. Adds depth to our conversations and our learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    having a blank canvas/site to start fresh with to create a template will be a useful thing for your school. Being the trail blazer means lots of planning, designing and tinkering, but once set up it'll be a life-saver for you all. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Tim,
    I agree SISIMO (Sight, Sound and Motion) is a great way to engage learners. I also agree the boys will love the gif. Will it engage them with their learning - cognitive engagment?
    Could you use the SISIMO concept to get learners creating in maths? That would be powerful!
    Look forward to continuing the conversation.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that was worth the intense concentration in creating this. Good stuff Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome profile pic with the flames - that gif is great too

    ReplyDelete